Monday, January 08, 2007

Where From Here?

Aside from the inherent busyness of the holiday season that kept me from posting, there is another reason that kept me from posting after most of the orders have been shipped.

For the first time, I don't know where to go from here. I usually have only too much to pull from as far as designs and inspiration. I don't have designer's block but rather a directional block.

Due to my impatience and over flowing of ideas, I've gone through a lot of design and material growth in the last 2 years with much waste. I pretty much don't have any desire to revisit what was done. I even got over my constant searching and (over)buying of new gemstones...now nothing much is new to me. Passion and excitement has always been what feeds my drive and I'm scared to follow my next drive. I don't have what it takes to go there...goldsmithing in the ancient style. I don't have the time to take the classes that I don't know where they're offered. Nor do I have the space to set up that kind of shop. Of course the other obstacle is that it is such a different market then what I have carved out that I will likely alienate my following now.


I am hoping something will click in my thinking that will present a path I can travel down. In the meantime, it will be interesting to see what I come up with for the next collection as I have NO visions for the first time. Hmm, that might be an interesting brand new approach to doing a new collection...we will see. I can always jump to my other passion before I was consumed by my accidental run-in with beads...plants!

6 Comments:

Blogger Abigail said...

I totally understand how you feel - I am at a similar cross-roads myself at the moment {not in terms of wanting to learn new techniques really, but where to re-direct my business and the closing of certain doors}....

..I really look forward to seeing where this takes you, and I am sure it will be on to even more amazing things! :)

January 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your site I'd say about a year and half ago and was stunned at the simple elegance and raw beauty of your designs. I understand your at a crossroads, the waste...argh, the anticipation...the what next? Girl, you better get ready for a ride because your name MEANS something already. Be careful what you wish for...you just may get it along with the blisters it takes to keep up :) I guess you could say I am in a similar spot..continually recreating my line as others create my OLD ones ...LOL. In the meantime to keep things flowing I have hopped on over to etsy. You may want to do the same...the exposure is phenomenal. Peace to you. Jody McGill 1ofmykind.etsy.com

January 16, 2007  
Blogger Anne said...

I really appreciate the heartfelt support from you both. I actually entertained the possibility of doing something else entirely. My usual time frame for an adventure is about 2 years.

Though I got into beading by accident my love for metal objects goes way back and it just keeps resurfacing without my realizing it...I have the antique plumb bob made into necklace to prove it.

Not sure this will turn into what I want it to but it sure will lead to something. You both do such unique work I wish you further success and achieve what you truly want to achieve.

January 16, 2007  
Blogger elleabelle said...

Gardening and plants have always been a major hobby of mine as well...so it is also a good way to use your hands! However, if you live in a climate where it is cold 6 months out of the year (I live in Cleveland, Ohio) then you will still need something to keep you busy! Best of luck, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

January 17, 2007  
Blogger Lorraine said...

I'm reading your blog for the first time; thank you so much for your candor. You have no idea how much you helped me today regarding my own ambivalence about moving forward with a small jewelry biz with my daughter. I look forward to seeing where the road takes you. Your designs are lovely.

January 24, 2007  
Blogger My Marrakech said...

I am a huge, huge fan of your work and dream about owning your pieces (every ring!). I am so touched by your candor in your entry. But I am also excited about the thought of you applying your creative energies in new areas -- it might just lead to more *magic.* And we all need some of that:-)

February 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home