Thursday, May 15, 2008

Faux Bone Ring

It's been a while since I last posted. One of the reasons is that I just couldn't readily remember my sign in information and didn't want to have to think that hard. Silly, I know, but such is my life.

I had meant to post pictures of a ring I bought many months ago but somehow never got to it. It is the only piece of jewelry I felt the urge to buy since I started designing jewelry almost 5 years ago. I used to always collect and wear jewelry passionately and then it all ceased when I started designing them. I just lost the need to own and possess them once they were made. I felt free! It felt really good to not be hoarding and lusting after jewelry anymore. But soon I realized I had transferred that obsession to gemstones. I knew that appetite would be insatiable and damaging but had to walk down that road anyway. I knew my self too well to try to stop an obsession. Well, now I'm over the gemstone hoarding too and it feels good. Empty...but good. I don't see another obsession coming on but we will have to wait and see.

Anyway, back to the ring I bought. It is a ring carved out of faux bone and the surface is pitted with small pock marks and colored inky blue. I was instantly in love with it when I saw it. The artist is Emily Watson and she is a talented multimedia artist. She was kind enough to send me these pictures of the ring I bought so I can show them here. I just love the sculptural quality of this ring and look at it all the time on my finger when I drive (that's when my hand is resting in front of me for a length of time)...although it is probably not a good idea to not keep my eye on traffic. This ring is so ME!





2 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Wowww you made a gorgeous present to yourself !
Thanks for the comment about the ring I made, the stone is some kind of granite, it's a shard I found, I smoothed it a bit...

May 25, 2008  
Blogger nunu pepe' said...

Very cool ring, I know what you mean, I also used to obsess about owning little precious things but nce I had my own store it's like my need to spend just stopped...hey perhaps we have stumbled onto a cure for addiction??
Thanks for the lovely welcome back made me feel special :)

June 04, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home